my introduction - and 2 "quick" questions

Tiago Vignatti tiago.vignatti at linux.intel.com
Sat Nov 26 11:01:25 PST 2011

Hi Rick,

On 11/26/2011 06:56 AM, Rick Stockton wrote:
> My questions are WRT to recent work by Taigo Vignatti (October, and
> maybe a little bit earlier). Those patches included an enhanced button
> translation routine (basically duplicating the X11 evdev Driver scheme.)
> But, in addition to the "mouse" button range, it adds translation code
> for the "generic" and "joystick" range of values as well. Other portions
> of the patch provide hotplug support in the compositor, and so I'd like
> to ask:
>
> (1) Can these changes possibly support multiple pointers on the same
> Seat? (i.e., somewhat like XI Version 2.)
>
> (2) and if so, does the concept of a "primary" versus "secondary"
> pointer still apply?

the changes I made recently are mostly on the driver side, which don't
affect the semantical meaning of having multiple pointers for the
compositor.

To start a multiple pointer implementation, first we'd have to give
support for different input groups (seats, users) in the protocol side.
The idea is that each group has a keyboard and a pointer focus, and a
set of different input devices assigned with. There won't be any
distinction between a group being primary or secondary - that was a
limitation of the core X11 protocol.

We're planning in fact to update the protocol bits soon regarding the
input subsystem to make this all possible. I'll try to share this with
you as soon as possible.

Cheers,

    Tiago