Has any gotten wayland demos to run on Ubuntiu 11.10

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 22:44:14 PST 2011

On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 14:43:29 -0800
"Valavanis, Nikos" <nikos.valavanis at renesas.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Has any gotten the wayland demos to run on Ubuntu 11.10.
> I am using a Dell inspiron 1500 with nvidia Quadra FX 380 graphics
> card
>
> I tried both:
>
> 1. apt-get install wayland-demos
>    this gives: EGL error 0x3001
>
> 2. compiling source from http://wayland.freedesktop.org/building.html
>    this gives: EGL_KHR_surfaceless_gles2 not available.

First, no proprietary driver will work for Wayland. For nvidia, you
need the complete Nouveau driver suite. You card belongs to one of the
best supported families in Nouveau, so the trick is to get all the
parts properly built and installed.

Second, you really need Mesa from git, no current releases carry the
necessary changes. This will also provide the Nouveau 3D driver.

If you get Wayland demos running, but you see bad rendering, the
problem is likely in cairo-gl. For now, you can use cairo commit
9bdfae6e218185d, or just disable Cairo GL support (you will lose
gears and wscreensaver demos).

Personally, I do not use Ubuntu.

- pq