Child window question

Kristian Høgsberg krh at bitplanet.net
Tue Sep 6 13:51:11 PDT 2011

On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 8:01 PM, Zhao, Juan J <juan.j.zhao at intel.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any "sub window" or "child window" concept on wayland? For example,
> now browser will have flash plugin as its child window. But when moving to
> wayland, how could we resolve this?

No, that's not available.  The flash plugin uses the Netscape Plugin
API (NPAPI) which directly references Xlib symbols and just can't work
under Wayland.  For NPAPI plugins to work under Wayland, they either
need to be ported to a newer plugin API (for example the google pepper
pluin API) or compiled into the browser.

> And I still have one question for the clients, I think one client is not
> combined with one specific compositor. Am I right?

Are you asking if clients are tied to a specific compositor?  To some
extent, it really depends on the bigger picture.  Can you take a MeeGo
application and run under, (hypothetic Wayland version of) GNOME
Shell? Probably not, you're trying to run an application designed for
a specific tablet environment under a desktop.  Can you run a GNOME
application under a KDE Wayland Desktop?  Maybe, depends on how higher
level protocol the two desktops can share and whether the GNOME
applications depends on something only GNOME Shell provides.

So there isn't really a yes or no answer to that question, and it
depends on much more than just the display server.

Kristian