seprate window management component

Russell Shaw rjshaw at netspace.net.au
Wed Sep 14 19:40:51 PDT 2011

On 15/09/11 04:33, Michal Suchanek wrote:
> On 14 September 2011 20:26, Bill Spitzak<spitzak at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> I think the idea is that what you are calling the "window manager" is in
>> fact a library running in the client process and memory space. It would
>> probably be part of the toolkit.
>>

> Which is utterly wrong.
>
> 1) you can't deal with clients malfunctioning
>
> 2) now every toolkit would not only look differently but also behave
> differently, possibly to the point that when running applications
> using multiple different toolkits your desktop breaks due to WM
> incompatibility
>
> 3) this is not really toolkit specific and should not have to be
> reimplemented in every toolkit

If implementing something in the toolkit makes things easier, then i don't see
why that shouldn't be done. All that's needed for consistancy between toolkits
is a standard to follow. I wouldn't want policy imposed on my toolkit by an
external server i don't like.

IIRC, the X icccm defines properties for window groups, and it is up to the
application to set those properties correctly and that the WM does the right
thing. If they don't do the right thing or are "malfunctioning", then just fix
them or create an alternative.