Trying out a few gtk applications in ubuntu precise (video)

darxus at chaosreigns.com darxus at chaosreigns.com
Fri Apr 6 22:07:06 PDT 2012

http://www.chaosreigns.com/wayland/demos/2012-04-07-wayland-several-gtk-apps.html

I started going through the application menu testing things out.
The biggest difference from the ubuntu packages is my gtk is rebuilt
with --enable-wayland-backend.  Somebody should create a ppa with that
and the clipboard patch.  I should make a web page to keep track of
these things.  Feel free to email me if you have additional info on what
does and doesn't work with wayland.

These work:

vte (terminal, not packaged by ubuntu) - yes
gnome-calculator - yes
file-roller - yes
charmap - yes
gnome-sudoku - yes
gwibber - yes
transmission-gtk - yes
brasero (disk burner) - yes
gnome-sound-recorder - yes
baob (disk usage analyzer) - yes

These don't work:

chromium (open source form of google chrome browser) - no, runs with
X output.  This one is disappointing, because I've seen work on making this
work with wayland.  But not as built by ubuntu at least.

nautilus  - no, runs with X output

palimpsest disk utility - no, palimpsest: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libunique-3.0.so.0: undefined symbol: gdk_x11_display_get_startup_notification_id https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-disk-utility/+bug/975713

gedit - no, gedit: symbol lookup error: gedit: undefined symbol: gdk_x11_display_manager_get_type

sol (solitare) - no, sol: symbol lookup error: sol: undefined symbol: gdk_x11_set_sm_client_id

mahjongg - no, (mahjongg:13452): Gdk-ERROR **: Unsupported GDK backend: wayland

gnomine - no, (gnomine:14033): Gdk-ERROR **: Unsupported GDK backend: wayland

evince - no, evince: error while loading shared libraries: libX11.so.6: failed to map segment from shared object: Permission denied

shotwell - no, shotwell: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libunique-3.0.so.0: undefined symbol: gdk_x11_display_get_startup_notification_id

empathy - no, output is mangled, but it does send its output to wayland

totem - no, totem: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libtotem.so.0: undefined symbol: gdk_x11_set_sm_client_id

rhythmbox - no, rhythmbox: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/librhythmbox-core.so.5: undefined symbol: gdk_x11_set_sm_client_id

gnome-system-monitor - no, gnome-system-monitor: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libgtkmm-3.0.so.1: undefined symbol: gtk_plug_get_type

I'm still not sure if gnome-terminal works, I need to rebuild gtk without
rebuilding vte to test it.

I've started contacting a few application maintainers to let them know that
for wayland support, they need to use gtk3 and wrap any gdk_x11_* or xlib /
xcb calls in both build-time and run-time backend checks, which are
documented here:
http://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/3.3/ch24s02.html#id1502079

--
"Life is but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his
hour upon the stage--and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an