Q: xwayland overt Qt-compositor?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Aug 21 08:54:54 PDT 2012

On terça-feira, 21 de agosto de 2012 10.07.57, darxus at chaosreigns.com wrote:
> > I am unclear of the Qt/X/Weston/Wayland interoperability.
> >
> > Does the weston compositor work with Qt5 apps?
> > Can the Qt5-compositor run the Weston apps?
>
> I haven't tested them lately, but I believe the answers should be yes.

If, by Weston apps, you mean Wayland apps, yes. There's nothing special about
them.

> > Will the Qt compositor host the xwayland server?
>
> I haven't heard.  I'm still not entirely sure what the relationship between
> xwayland and different compositors is expected to be.
>
> It may be better to ask the Qt folks.  #qt-labs on irc.freenode.net in
> particular.  I'm not sure which mailing list is most appropriate.

That would be development at qt-project.org, since Wayland support and the
compositors are really in development right now.

> Qt apps don't even know which backend they're using, it's all nice and

Qt apps _can_ know the backend if they really want to.
http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5.0/qguiapplication.html#platformName-prop

But applications should be written not to depend on the platform.

> magical.  And last time I tested, the Qt5 apps worked with the weston
> compositor, but the Qt5 demo wayland compositors crashed, but were expected
> to work with wayland apps.  I suspect xwayland stuff hasn't been handled
> with the Qt compositors.

The compositors are all experimental and just examples of what can be done.
They are not meant to be used in a production environment.

Running Weston is recommended.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358