Input method and input/output redirect under wayland

Michael Hasselmann michaelh at openismus.com
Thu Aug 30 00:49:31 PDT 2012

On Mon, 2012-08-27 at 21:02 -0400, Yichao Yu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How can the proposed input method system[1] support the input method
> server drawing a window around the cursor for user interaction?

Best to check Weston keyboard example:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/wayland/weston/tree/clients/keyboard.c

That's a client that draws a virtual keyboard and uses the mentioned
input method protocols, yet at the same time draws like a regular client
(into a special surface).

> For some input method (especially for CJK), it is important to have
> some user interaction before some text is finally committed (e.g.
> there might be more than one candidate words for a single input
> string), and for better user experience, it is important to show this
> window (for user interaction) closed to the cursor and in a way
> consistent with the input window.

Yes, pre-edit support. Work in progress.

> Moreover, since wayland support input and output redirection, the
> window (although it might be a rectangle for the client) might not
> appears to be a normal rectangle on the screen.

Special cases. Instead of sending a rectangle, we could always send a
region instead. I am not worried about that right now.

regards,
Michael