Towards 1.0

Pier Luigi pierluigi.fiorini at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 13:35:37 PST 2012

2012/2/17 Kristian Høgsberg <krh at bitplanet.net>:
>  - The EWMH standard has a lot of properties, window types and
> language for standardizing out-of-process desktop components such as
> pagers, panels and desktop backgrounds.  We're not going to try to
> standardize that in 1.0, the focus is going to be on the communication
> between regular applications and the desktop environment.  It
> certainly possible to do with Wayland, and standardization could come
> from different environments doing their own thing initially, and then
> later try to consolidate.  desktop-shell and tablet-shell in weston
> are good examples of custom interfaces to split the desktop
> environment into several processes.

Please standardize window types in Wayland 1.0, in order to avoid confusion.
With toolkits defining their own way to handle pagers, panels, etc...
what will happen with heterogeneous (let's say GTK+ in a
QtWayland-based compositor)?

I would also like to know what's the plan for a feature like X struts.
--
"Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your own inner
voice." (Steve Jobs)