concerns over wayland and need for wayland app display to X Server

David Jackson djackson452 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 13:34:13 PST 2012

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 4:15 AM, Pekka Paalanen <ppaalanen at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 23:52:55 -0500
> David Jackson <djackson452 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >  I am asking for the ability to display a wayland app to an X server. My
> > original suggestion was perhaps can be done via a runtime loadable client
> > side driver that would support the wayland client API, there would be
> > drivers for rendering from a wayland client to a wayland session and to
> an
> > wayland client to an X session and they can be selected at runtime, and
> the
> > selected one loaded into the wayland application. The wayland client
> driver
> > for X client connection to X server could be glue code between wayland
> APi
> > and Xlib.
>
> This does not fit at all in the scope of libwayland-client. But you
> might write a ABI-compatible libwayland-client that talks directly to
> X, and then LD_PRELOAD it. I do not dare to comment on the sanity of
> this approach.
>
> Supporting different display architectures and protocols really is the
> toolkits' job.
>
> > as far as the stacking, it went a little over my head. I guess you are
> > talking about coordination of the application stacking on the X server
> and
> > the wayland server, and how the stacking models generate expose events. I
> > suppose that the wayland server requests pixmaps for newly exposed areas
>
> There are no expose events nor server-inflicted damage to client
> buffers in Wayland. At most, there could be an event for "server lost
> the whole buffer", but for now there is not.
>
> Perhaps the sanest way (ignoring support by toolkits) is to write a
> middle-man server for converting between X and Wayland, if you cannot
> live with the existing solutions. You should also look into how the E,
> KDE and Gnome window managers are being ported, maybe they can act as
> an X wm and a Wayland server at the same time, running on X?
>
> Weston can run on X, but you cannot remote it by X protocol, because
> a) Weston requires direct rendering, and b) Weston does not use glX.
>

> Thanks,
> pq

As I mentioned, counting on applications is really not a reliable method,
some programmers are sloppy and wont do it. The capability really needs to
be somewhere in wayland to sort of be able to count on it.

If an expose event is not given to an application, how can it know when to
send new data to be displayed in just exposed areas of the app.