[RFC] Weston sprite support

Jesse Barnes jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org
Fri Jan 6 14:01:06 PST 2012

On Fri, 6 Jan 2012 16:22:33 -0500
Kristian Høgsberg <krh at bitplanet.net> wrote:
> I'm concerned about make all of weston_output_repaint an output hook.
> There's a lot of non-trivial (at least it took me a while to get it
> right) region code in there to analyze the overlap of the surfaces to
> minimize the overdraw and to enable the incremental repaint.  I think
> we can just do a different type of hook though.  Maybe after
> calculating the per-surface damage, we can call into the backend,
> which can then look through the stack, decide whether and which
> surfaces should use sprites, set that up and then clear their damage.
> When the hook returns to weston_output_repaint, the repaint will then
> skip those surfaces.

Yeah I was a little wary of that too; at the very least some helpers
for the new repaint hook would be good, but I hadn't yet figured out
what they ought to look like.

A mid-level hook like you suggest sounds good; I actually started that
way before thinking pulling the whole thing over to the output driver...

> For that to work I think we need two changes: the wl_list_for_each
> that applies the per-surface damage (line 820) needs to move up above
> setup_scanout_surface().  In fact, I think we can roll
> setup_scanout_surface() into that hook and handle pageflipping to
> client buffers in the same hook.  It's not all that different.
> Attached a patch/sketch.

Cool, thanks.  I'll check it out.