Mesa recently started depending on xcb v1.8.1

darxus at chaosreigns.com darxus at chaosreigns.com
Sat Jul 21 10:37:21 PDT 2012

On 07/21, Bill Spitzak wrote:
> On 07/21/2012 10:08 AM, darxus at chaosreigns.com wrote:
> >If you're building on Ubuntu Oneric, that means you need to build 7
> >additional repos from source.  Precise has xcb 1.8.1.
>
> I'm still trying to use Natty (11.04). Is this hopeless? Looks like
> LLVM is out of date.

It's not hopeless, but I really wouldn't recommend it.  You *should* always
get build errors telling you what you need to install or upgrade, but you
may be the only one trying to build this particular bleeding edge stuff on
such an old distro, which can easily result in others not realizing that
versions need to be specified in build dependencies, as I just came across
in the newer Oneric release with mesa's build dependencies.

Wayland is really bleeding edge.  It depends on a lot of stuff that is
really bleeding edge.  Unless you have a *very* good reason not to, it's
probably a bad idea to start with anything other than the latest release of
your distro (in the case of Ubuntu, that's Precise).

> Can somebody make a complete list of the things that need to be
> built. Do I need libX11?

I think I mostly answered this.  Basically, I don't know, and it's not
worth my effort to figure it out.

I would expect in most cases just needing to build 7 additional git repos
for xcb in Oneric would be enough reason to upgrade to Precise.  Why are
you running Natty?

persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.  Therefore all progress
depends on the unreasonable man." - George Bernard Shaw
http://www.ChaosReigns.com