Wayland and Weston 0.95.0 released

Kristian Høgsberg hoegsberg at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 13:32:18 PDT 2012

Hi all,

I just tagged version 0.95.0 of Wayland and Weston and uploaded
tarballs here:

  4a7e49256f3d4a61add3cf70d74f02abb5b243a2  wayland-0.95.0.tar.xz
  000ae14a9866f323e2df326a90938401eb961948  weston-0.95.0.tar.xz

With the 0.95 release we start maintaining protocol and client API
stability.  Going forward, we will try to not break any clients or
toolkits that are written agains the 0.95 protocol and client API.  We
don't completely freeze yet, we'll do that with the 1.0 release, but
from now on we'll use the versioning mechanism when possible and only
break API if absolutely necessary.  This also doesn't mean that the
protocol won't be extended in the future, just that we will not change
what's there now.

To clarify, we're freezing the protocol, as described by
protocol/wayland.xml in the Wayland repository and the client API/ABI
defined by wayland-client.h and the headers generated from
wayland.xml.  In particular, we're not freezing the protocol
interfaces defined by Weston and we're not freezing the wayland-server
API.  Also, for the protocol interfaces (wl_drm) and libraries (gbm)
that are part of mesa, we'll release those with the upcoming mesa 8.1,
at which point we'll treat those as stable too.

I'll follow up with a description of how the interface versioning and
deprecation is supposed to work.

Kristian