How can i implement the Multi-Workspaces in the weston?

wayland xinzhou208 at 163.com
Fri Jun 1 03:00:49 PDT 2012

Dear Kristian:
     Recently we folks are trying to build a desktop-shell based on
Weston project. Just as any other modern
Linux Desktop, we are gotta implement the "Multi-Workspaces", a.k.a
"Virtual Desktops".

     For the convenience of discussion, we take a GNOME3 snapshot as the
example, which is attached
below. As we can see, there is one Top-Level window that would be showed
at two places, one showed
in the current Workspace, another showed in the corresponding snapshot
of the current workspace at
the right side. Here I propose one questions to you ^-^

         How should I clone the Top-Level Window in the snapshot of
workspaces properly ?
         Right now we just create extra Weston Surfaces at the
Compositor Side and make it adapt the
         texture id representing the same top-level window.
         Since those extra  Weston Surfaces directly created at the
Compositor Side don't belong to any Wayland Client.
         Is this an appropriate way or  disallowed or deprecated ??

         p.s.  We are always expecting that our Graphics Hero(which is
you) to announce the 0.9 version, have a good day~

                     Marvin