Inputs

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 23:18:49 PDT 2012

On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 07:23:38 -0700 (PDT)
Claudiu Lupu <lupuu.claudiu at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a question regarding the compositor and keyboard/mouse inputs and surfaces. I have set some surfaces that I am manipulating using the ivi-shell. I have another surface that is a virtual keyboard. When I press a button on the surface a virtual keyboard driver is sending keyboard events to the compositor. My problem is that compositor is sending events back to the virtual keyboard window. My question: is it possible to make compositor sending the inputs to an unfocused surface? Or to send mouse events to one surface and keyboard events to other.
> Imagine that when I click on the virtual keyboard the pointer focus is gained by that surface not the target surface. Thank you for your help!

Hi,

I thought your question was already covered in IRC, was that someone
else then?

You have to make the server (your shell) to not give keyboard focus to
your special virtual keyboard surface. For that, you probably need to
add protocol, so your virtual keyboard app can tell the server that the
surface is a virtual input device. Just like you must have already
added new protocol for the virtual input events (or are you using
uinput?). I think this is the preferred way, and currently it is also
the only way.

There have been discussions about changing the protocol wrt. how
surfaces get keyboard focus and raise, but it's not implemented yet,
AFAIK.