Wayland Client Rendering

Christopher James Halse Rogers christopher.halse.rogers at canonical.com
Wed Jun 13 19:01:19 PDT 2012

On Tue, 2012-06-12 at 14:40 +0000, suranjana.bhattacharya at wipro.com
wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am currently trying to build an example with Wayland Client rendering. Can any body help me with following queries?
> 1.What is Wayland Client rendering mechanism using cairo-gl?

Wayland doesn't provide a rendering mechanism at all; the client
provides buffers (using an interface like wl_drm or wl_shm) to the
Wayland compositor. How the client renders to those buffers is up to it.

> 2. How wyland is creating surface, window, pixmap and handling these objects while rendering?

As above; Wayland isn't, the client is. You can see how the demo clients
do this in clients/window.c - specifically
display_create_egl_window_surface and display_create_shm_window_surface

> 3. Any example with Wayland client rendering with Cairo.

Most of the stuff in the clients/ subdirectory of weston renders with
Cairo.