OpenGL in USB Display Devices under wayland

Sannu K sannumail4foss at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 09:10:43 PDT 2012

Hi,

Intro:
USB display devices are dumb framebuffer devices that can drive a CRTC
which is connected to the system through USB. These devices can be treated
as just USB to VGA (DVI or HDMI) converters. They have some sort of
compression (Devices from displaylink is one of them which uses RLE
compression) implemented in the chip as the USB 2 bandwidth is 480MB/s. No
3D hardware acceleration so primary GPU is used for 3D acceleration. USB
display devices just act as a monitor.

After seeing the changes made in X server for offloading hardware
acceleration for USB display devices (displaylink and others), I am curious
to know about how Wayland takes care (if at all it does) of offloading
hardware acceleration to primary GPU. X server uses primary GPU (intel or
nvidia or ati) for 3D acceleration and just sends the scan out buffer to
USB display device. As far as I went through the architecture of wayland I
am not able to find where this fits in and how. Please provide some info on
how this is (or will be) done.

Thanks,
Sannu