Build problems on Ubuntu Natty (11.04)

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 11:38:41 PDT 2012

On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 10:43:55 -0700
Bill Spitzak <spitzak at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 03/13/2012 10:31 AM, Bill Spitzak wrote:
> > On 03/13/2012 02:36 AM, Pekka Paalanen wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Bill,
> >>
> >> could you try commenting out the line
> >> EGL_DEPTH_SIZE, 1,
> >> from compositor-x11.c?
> >>
> >> I would very much like to know if that helps.
> >
> > Yes, that indeed did fix it! Weston runs now and at least the
> > cursor image works in the window. I will now try to patch all
> > the clients...

Thanks, good to know.

> > Do you know if I have to do the setuid root on libexec,
> > libexec/*, and bin/weston, even if I just want to run them
> > locally?

You only need setuid for weston, when you are running with
the DRM backend, i.e. without X. It is for getting access to
some device nodes, like input devices, and can be solved
without setuid, too.

> Unfortunately the clients are still broken after removing this
> line from them (patch attached).

The patch looks just what I intended, sans compositor-drm.c (if
you ever want to run it without X).

Hmm, it's probably Cairo that is still creating a Z-buffer. If
you edit config.h in the weston checkout, and comment out
HAVE_CAIRO_EGL, and rebuild, you should be able to get most
of the demo clients working. This disables GL acceleration
for them, but should have no effect on any work for window
stacking protocol, for instance.

Does simple-egl run?

> I did not touch the occurrences of EGL_DEPTH_SIZE in non-wayland
> code like egl. Everything was under weston.

Correct.

> My wayland-run.sh runs ~/install/bin/weston, sleeps 2 seconds,
> then runs weston/clients/weston-terminal.
>
> What I get now is a black window with a moving cursor image, and
> a tiny "icon" in the upper-left corner. This icon "lights up"
> when I point the mouse at it, and dims when I do not. Clicking on
> the icon produces the following output on stdout:
>
> [1391549.930]  -> wl_input_device at 6.button(220434881, 272, 1)

That is the Wayland protocol dump. It's most useful to enable it
for one client (in one X terminal) at a time. If you plan on
protocol work, understanding that dump will be essential. You
can match the names to the protocol XML file contents.