Build problems on Ubuntu Natty (11.04)

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Thu Mar 15 15:51:00 PDT 2012

Hi,

On 15 March 2012 19:42, Bill Spitzak <spitzak at gmail.com> wrote:
> Pekka Paalanen wrote:
>> Installing weston without suid should be a workaround.
>
> I have not figured out how to re-run configure to disable the need for sudo.
> So instead I am doing "sudo make install" and then removing the setuid bit
> from weston. This certainly does make things better.

./configure --blah --etc --disable-setuid-install

> CURRENT SITUATION:
>
> With the fixes to remove asking for EGL_DEPTH and turning off setuid, I can
> run weston under X and I get a mostly-black window. It locks up X for a few
> seconds after the window appears. The window shows a small 4x3 icon in the
> top-left corner with a ">" in it, which I suspect is an icon to launch a
> terminal. The window also shows a moving cursor that is not the hardware
> cursor (this can be seen if you move the mouse fast or out of the window,
> the cursor remains). Pointing at the icon makes it "light up".
>
> [...]
>
> QUESTIONS:
>
> Is there any chance my old graphics card is to blame? However nouveau seems
> to work fine in this card, and OpenGL programs run. Also weston certainly
> drew *some* graphics (that icon, it's glow, and the cursors).

I think it's fair to say this is definitely a nouveau issue for your
chipset.  My old laptop ran most GL programs fine but trying to run
gnome-shell would hardlock my system in about 30 seconds.  If you
report a bug on nouveau through Bugzilla then you should be able to
chase it up there.

Cheers,
Daniel