Migration guide?

Alex Wu zhiwen.wu at linux.intel.com
Sun May 6 19:19:59 PDT 2012

于 2012/5/7 4:30, Gregory Merchan 写道:
> Hi,
>
> I looking for a migration guide from X11 to Wayland. Most of my Google
> search results are real estate listings for properties with windows in
> Wayland, MA.
>
> I have just a few things I hope someone will help me with:
>
> 1. The X property mechanism was generic, so we could have ICCCM, MWM,
> EWMH, etc. properties without changing the X server. Will Wayland also
> have such a generic mechanism?
>
> 2. Was the work requested in this message ever done?
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2010-November/000270.html
> . (I could work on this maybe later this month, if it's not done.)
>
> 3. X11 famously abided by the rule of determining "mechanism, not
> policy". Is there a similar rule for Wayland?
>
> 4. I'm concerned about the implications of this message:
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2012-January/001845.html
> . It looks like policy was being written into Wayland, but maybe that
> discussion was about Weston?

My understanding is that Wayland combines the display server, the window
manager and the compositor in one process and thus, must provide an
functionality provided by these processes. The behavior of display
server is generic and suitable for "mechanism, not policy", but for the
compositor and window manager, writting some policies into them is
accepted and unavoidable. Correct me if
I made some misunderstanding.