protocol compatibility issue

Kristian Høgsberg hoegsberg at gmail.com
Tue May 15 08:13:26 PDT 2012

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 03:17:54PM +0800, Shuang He wrote:
> Hi, all
>     Have you met issue that, only updating wayland while not
> rebuilding weston, mesa, it will not work. It may due to wayland
> protocol is updated, which will need to update weston and mesa as
> well.
>     Is there any protocol version check policy applied? I'd like to
> be told that 'protocol is incompatible' instead of trying pull and
> rebuilding everything.
>     This may also be helpful for doing bisect.

We don't have a mechanism for that.  The policy is that after 1.0, the
protocol doesn't break, before 1.0 all bets are off.  In hindsigt,
that would have been a big help to have a mechanism to at least fail
gracefully, but we don't have much left between now and 1.0 so I don't
think we'll do anything like that now.

Kristian