Comment on Wayland anti-FUD

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Tue May 15 18:39:06 PDT 2012

On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 01:16:38PM +0300, Pekka Paalanen wrote:

[snip]

> > Another drawback of Wayland is, that the compositor is also
> > responsible for reading and dispatching input events. If there's
> > a new class of input device _all_ compositors must be adjusted.
> > You could of course invent some kind of generic compositor into
> > which one can load modules. And you could add an abstracted color
> > management and drawing module into it, keeping track of
> > properties of the single displays in a multihead setup. But this
> > would just duplicate everything X does.
>
> Yes, Wayland duplicates or reimplements the useful things X does.
> The point is, Wayland changes everything else. Isn't that a good
> thing?
>
> You are right about input plugins, but there are couple things
> that should make it not so bad:
> - a majority of input devices are evdev, so we mostly need only
> an evdev plugin

there are 3 X input drivers that matter to most people these days. evdev,
synaptics and wacom. All three are evdev drivers on Linux. the reason we
still have three of them is because the handling of the devices is complex -
what you want from a touchpad is different than what you want from a
keyboard.

you could bunch all of them up into a single driver and wayland doesn't have
the client legacy that X has but what you'll end up doing is moving the
touchpad/wacom-specific sections into the clients. and then you hope that
all clients have the same setup because otherwise that software-emulated
button on your touchpad won't work in some clients but will in others.

I suspect there will be a need for multiple plugins sooner or later, even if
all of them speak evdev.

Cheers,
  Peter