Western runs on Ubuntu 10.10 but displays a window with no content and error on console

souvik.datta at wipro.com souvik.datta at wipro.com
Thu May 17 21:30:19 PDT 2012

I have tried running the script available at : http://www.chaosreigns.com/wayland/buildscript/ ( Thanks to Abhijit Potnis [abhijitpotnis at gmail.com] for his suggestion), but the output is found to be the same, i.e., on starting weston, I am getting a window, with no cursor  and icons and black content. The errors were also observed to be the same that I got.

This script already exports the variables that you have mentioned and here is the console log:

Running weston, the example wayland compositor.
Sleeping 2 seconds so the compositor is actually running by the time I run other stuff.
libEGL debug: Native platform type: x11 (autodetected)
libEGL debug: EGL search path is /home/souvik/install/lib/egl
libEGL debug: added egl_dri2 to module array
libEGL debug: added egl_glx to module array
libEGL warning: DRI2: failed to authenticate
libEGL debug: DRI2: dlopen(/home/souvik/install/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so)
libEGL debug: DRI2: found extension `DRI_Core'
libEGL info: DRI2: found extension DRI_Core version 1
libEGL debug: DRI2: found extension `DRI_SWRast'
libEGL info: DRI2: found extension DRI_SWRast version 3
libEGL debug: DRI2: found extension `DRI_TexBuffer'
libEGL info: DRI2: found extension DRI_TexBuffer version 2
libEGL debug: the best driver is DRI2
libGL: Can't open configuration file /etc/drirc: No such file or directory.
libGL: Can't open configuration file /home/souvik/.drirc: No such file or directory.
Mesa warning: couldn't open libtxc_dxtn.so, software DXTn compression/decompression unavailable
couldn't open /home/souvik/.config/weston-desktop-shell.ini
using socket /tmp/wayland-0
libEGL debug: Native platform type: wayland (autodetected)
libEGL debug: EGL search path is /home/souvik/install/lib/egl
libEGL debug: added egl_dri2 to module array
libEGL debug: added egl_glx to module array
libEGL debug: EGL user error 0x3001 (EGL_NOT_INITIALIZED) in eglInitialize

failed to initialize display
failed to create display: No such file or directory
disconnect from client 0x879c738
weston-desktop-shell died, respawning...
libEGL debug: Native platform type: wayland (autodetected)
libEGL debug: EGL search path is /home/souvik/install/lib/egl
libEGL debug: added egl_dri2 to module array
libEGL debug: added egl_glx to module array
libEGL debug: EGL user error 0x3001 (EGL_NOT_INITIALIZED) in eglInitialize

failed to initialize display
failed to create display: No such file or directory
disconnect from client 0x879c8e0
[...]

weston-desktop-shell died, giving up.
Running vte, a gtk+ terminal client.
QtWebKit web browser isn't installed.
souvik at souvik-WNB7PAH4700R-0006:~$ libEGL debug: Native platform type: wayland (autodetected)
libEGL debug: EGL search path is /home/souvik/install/lib/egl
libEGL debug: added egl_dri2 to module array
libEGL debug: added egl_glx to module array
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
libEGL debug: Native platform type: wayland (autodetected)
libEGL debug: EGL search path is /home/souvik/install/lib/egl
libEGL debug: EGL user error 0x3001 (EGL_NOT_INITIALIZED) in eglInitialize

failed to initialize display
libEGL debug: added egl_dri2 to module array
failed to create display: No such file or directory
libEGL debug: added egl_glx to module array
libEGL debug: EGL user error 0x3001 (EGL_NOT_INITIALIZED) in eglInitialize

failed to initialize display
failed to create display: No such file or directory
disconnect from client 0x879c738
disconnect from client 0x8789928
Fork succeeded, PID 25378

(vte2_90:25376): Gdk-WARNING **: Unable to find cursor for: bottom_right_corner.png

(vte2_90:25376): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(vte2_90:25376): Gdk-WARNING **: Unable to find cursor for: xterm.png

(vte2_90:25376): Gdk-WARNING **: Unable to find cursor for: left_ptr.png

(vte2_90:25376): Gdk-WARNING **: Unable to find cursor for: bottom_right_corner.png

(vte2_90:25376): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(vte2_90:25376): Gdk-WARNING **: Unable to find cursor for: bottom_right_corner.png

(vte2_90:25376): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
startup message: remove:

(vte2_90:25376): Gdk-WARNING **: Unable to find cursor for: bottom_right_corner.png

(vte2_90:25376): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(vte2_90:25376): Gdk-WARNING **: Unable to find cursor for: left_ptr.png
disconnect from client 0x879c738

As suggested by you, do you think that it will be wise to migrate to 11.04 or 11.10 and then run this script?
My plan is to finally port Wayland on an embedded target. I guess, if I succeed in running wayland in 11.10 or 11.04 with this script,
it would mean that there is some difference in the system dependent packages other than the packages required to run wayland.

Thanks and Regards,
Souvik