Weston Video Capture Tool

Kristian Høgsberg krh at bitplanet.net
Tue May 29 09:29:08 PDT 2012

Hi,

Most people following the project closely probably saw this go by, but
I thought this was worthy of a little wider exposure.  Weston now has
a built-in video capture tool, which works with all the backends (kms,
x11, wayland).  It only captures what changes, when something changes
and efficiently and losslessly encodes the difference between the
areas that did change.  The output is a 'wcap' file, and we have a
tool to convert that to a webm file or extract single frames.  The UI
is a little rough/simplistic now and only the first output is
supported, but we can improve that as we go.  There is also still an
subtle artifact where a pixel is sometimes left behind and sometimes
entire damage rectangles seem to go missing for a frame or two (less
subtle...).

Anyway, it's a pretty useful tool as it is and I though I'd just let
the list know, for those that don't follow the git repo on a
day-to-day basis.  There's a wcap/README file now with more
information about the conversion tools and the file format.

Kristian