Updated Wayland live CD, now with Xwayland.

nerdopolis bluescreen_avenger at verizon.net
Sat Nov 10 19:44:49 PST 2012

Hi.

After setting my build scripts to compile daniels xwayland branch of weston http://sourceforge.net/projects/rebeccablackos/files/latest/download and his xwayland-1.12 branch of xserver http://cgit.collabora.com/git/user/daniels/xserver.git/log/?h=xwayland-1.12 and his updated wlshm DDX driver for the xwayland server http://cgit.collabora.com/git/user/daniels/xf86-video-wlshm.git/ Xwayland now works on Wayland 1.0, and is ready for testing. So far, it appears that daniels did a very good job in vastly improving the wlshm driver, eliminating many of the graphical issues with the old wlshm driver.

With this, its starting to become almost usable, although I would not yet recommend it for production yet, there are still some issues, namely the placement of X windows and menus are still random (When thiago's 'xwm as a client' work gets merged, which will allow for better window positioning), it gets confusing with many windows open (when soreau's work for a window list,and a minimization weston protocol gets merged into weston, this will be improved), and some things misbehave due to the fact that I install packages without-recommends (only required) to reduce the ISO size...

You can download the new ISO from here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/rebeccablackos/files/latest/download

I look in the future to get mplayer on the CD, and get kdelibs to not segfault on QT5, so I can compile kde-baseapps, and kde-workspace, for native kde wayland clients.