Problems with the newest wayland git

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 00:12:33 PST 2012

On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 23:35:57 -0800
Bill Spitzak <spitzak at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is not working very well for me. Most things point to EGL not
> working, but there are some strange problems.

What did you update first before you noticed it broke?

Are you sure you do not have any outdated weston components lying
around? Like any of the backend or shell .so files? You do run 'make
install' for weston before trying to run it?

If your update crosses some wayland-scanner changes, you'd better 'git
clean -dxf' all wayland, weston, and mesa, to make sure the protocol
files get regenerated. But sounds like you already tried that.

> I am running the x11-compositor. This opens and displays the blue window
> with the red titlebar and icons on the top. I think it tries to run
> weston-terminal and that fails.
>
> Almost all weston tools exit immediately with "libwayland: disconnect
> from client 0x8815ff0". Exceptions are:
>
> simple-egl also says "simple-egl.c:135: init_egl: Assertion `ret == 1'
> failed." indicating eglInitialize() failed.
>
> simple-shm works, and I can launch any number of them (not tested beyond 5).
>
> flower works, but only if it is the only program running. Running it
> again or when simple-shm is running exits with the disconnect error.
>
> smoke also works only if it is the only program running. But attempting
> to run another program *crashes* the smoke program. In the case of
> flower or smoke, it also prevents the new program from running. In the
> case of simple-shm, simple-shm does run as smoke crashes.
>
> I have done a lot of clean and rebuild of drm, mesa, wayland, and weston
> and messing with configuration, but have not gotten it to act any
> different than this.
>
> This is rather frustrating as I had wayland working pretty good before.

Which 3D driver are you using?