Wayland and Weston 1.0

Jesse Barnes jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org
Mon Oct 22 16:46:52 PDT 2012

On Mon, 22 Oct 2012 19:26:46 -0400
Kristian Høgsberg <hoegsberg at gmail.com> wrote:

> Wayland and Weston 1.0.0 have been released!
>
> Thanks and congrats to everybody involved for making this happen.
> We're entering a new, exciting and somewhat scary phase for Wayland.
> As of this 1.0.0 release, we're changing the development model and
> committing to the the protocol and client side API we have now.

Woohoo!  I'm really excited by this.  My hope is that with a "stable"
release number out there, people will really start evaluating Wayland
and Weston for their needs, and hopefully see the same sorts of big
power and memory footprint savings I've seen when compared with other
solutions.

I really hope one of the desktop environments jumps on board now.  With
a modern toolkit the porting effort shouldn't be huge (mostly in the
window management component), and the power savings on a typical laptop
have the potential to be huge.  Given the existing toolkit support, it's
also possible someone could start a simple, new environment with Weston
at its core.

Anyway, congrats again!