[ANNOUNCE] libxkbcommon 0.2.0

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Tue Oct 23 10:15:02 PDT 2012

Hi,
After three and a half years, I'm proud to announce the first grown-up
release of xkbcommon.

xkbcommon is a keymap handling library, which can parse XKB
descriptions (e.g. from xkeyboard-config), and use this to help its
users make sense of their keyboard input.  Unfortunately X11's
requirements mean this isn't actually usable for the X server, but it
should be perfectly usable for client toolkits, as well as alternative
windowing systems, compositors and system-level clients such as
Wayland and kmscon.

It exposes a purely C API, which is intended to be both API- and
ABI-stable for at least the duration of the 0.2.x series.  There is
already scope for backwards-compatible API improvements: all users are
recommended to #include <xkbcommon/xkbcommon-compat.h> to
transparently benefit from API updates[0].

More documentation is available at http://xkbcommon.org/doc/0.2.0/,
though we're admittedly still lacking a good high-level overview.

Patches, fixes, bugs, suggestions and pretty much anything other than
abuse are entirely welcome.  If you're using xkbcommon, we'd love to
hear about it.

Huge thanks for this release must go out to Ran Benita, for his
massive contributions (by far the single most prolific contributor),
cleanups and huge improvements, and to Dan Nicholson for starting the
project in the first place.

git tag: xkbcommon-0.2.0

http://xkbcommon.org/download/libxkbcommon-0.2.0.tar.bz2
MD5:  2be3d4a255d02c7d46fc6a9486f21f6a          libxkbcommon-0.2.0.tar.bz2
SHA1: 476dce33bf508cc166f4b2441d96ccd3aed809a2  libxkbcommon-0.2.0.tar.bz2

http://xkbcommon.org/download/libxkbcommon-0.2.0.tar.gz
MD5:  d636523406ceebcbe639e5b2171b7ef8          libxkbcommon-0.2.0.tar.gz
SHA1: 2cad8cd1125d8bbfb472697e4bbd9842a49cd8f7  libxkbcommon-0.2.0.tar.gz

Cheers,
Daniel (and Ran)

[0]: While stub functions are maintained for ABI compatibility, the
compat headers will silently transition you to the new API, thus
ensuring it will work even when the old ABI has been removed.