Weston framerate (Re: bare bones opengl weston client sample)

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 23:16:06 PDT 2012

On Thu, 6 Sep 2012 11:25:20 -0400
jegde jedge <bubbah.t at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you so much, that did the trick!
>
> Next Question :)
> On the same code, on the same hardware...
> I am getting the glut 60 fps limit when running my app using the glut
> front end via
> gnome and X.
> I am getting ~24 fps using the simple-egl front end on top of wayland.
> I also noticed the display using wayland likes to hover around 20 fps.
>
> Is there some kind of throttle built into the frame rate for the
> redraw callback?

Hi,

could you remind us, are you running Weston with the X11 or DRM backend?

If you use the X11 backend, sloppy framerates are expected. X has no
method of telling the X application (weston) that the image it posted
has now hit the screen. Therefore the X11 backend fakes it by using a
timer to blindly to trigger this "image hit the screen" callback.
Obviously that is very flakey and inaccurate, but cannot really do any
better.

However, if you are on DRM backend, it is worth investigating.