Compiling weston on a Raspberry Pi

Abhijit Potnis abhijitpotnis at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 04:43:06 PDT 2012

Hello Marian,

Looking at the forum discussion I guess you intend to run wayland/weston
with drm backend on the Pi board. Correct me if I am wrong.

"Wayland" should straight away build for ARM as it has very minimal
dependency
and is hardware agnostic.

"Weston" is the hardware related part of the wayland project. A wayland
reference
implementation of a compositor. So you would need a rendering backend that
works for your board so as to be able to run Weston. Weston right now
supports
drm, X11, android and wayland itself as backends

I seem to agree with *twolife* 's comment in the forum. If Pi doesn't
provide DRM support then it wouldn't be possible to use weston's
drm-backend.
One will have to write a new backed for the Pi board.

Is there a way to do GLES2 on the framebuffer directly? If there is a
way, you could get Weston running without X by writing a new backend. You
can follow Pekka's android back-end for understanding. With this though
you can't run GL clients on Wayland, but you might be able to run a few
simple clients like simple-shm, flower, dnd .. etc

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 12:18 PM, Marian Buschsieweke <
m.buschsieweke at uni-muenster.de> wrote:

> Hello everybody!
>
> I'm trying to compile wayland and weston on the raspberry pi. For those
> who not know: The Raspberry Pi is a 35$ ARM linux box with about 2W
> power consumption (see http://www.raspberrypi.org/faqs for more
> details).
>
> I already got wayland and cairo with EGL and GLESv2 support compiled
> and installed, but I'm having problems with weston.
>
> The raspberry pi provides a proprietary driver with EGL, GLESv2 and
> OpenVG support.
>
> I'm using https://github.com/robclark/libgbm to get libgbm working on
> the Pi.
>
> Is there someone who has a Raspberry Pi already got weston working on
> the Pi? Is it actually possible?
>
> I've seen that "qtwayland" does work on the Pi.
>
> Feel free to join discussion in the Raspberry Pi Forum:
>
> http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=15376
>
> Thanks for you help!

Regards,
Abhijit Potnis