new xwayland protocol

Nick Kisialiou kisialiou at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 13:07:09 PDT 2012

I would like to share with you a couple of demos of the 3D virtual reality
desktop, courtesy of Hesham Wahba. I believe it will give you a better idea
of what Pekka was talking about:

Demo 1 shows the side-by-side view for left and right eyes. It also shows
orientation control by a gyroscope in iPhone. Eventually, the orientation
sensor will be done from the head tracker, so that your head movement would
change the view in the virtual world.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Ec0JgisJqGA

Demo 2 shows the stereo view of the same desktop. By default, YouTube
converts it into the overlapping red/cyan view. If you turn it on/off with
the 3D button on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nglk96pxaLQ

In addition to that, lenses in a VR headset introduce the fish-eye
(spherical) distortion:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distortion_%28optics%29

To overcome that you can use a classical VR headset that relied on a lot of
heavy and expensive optics to compensate. Alternatively, you can get rid of
all the other lenses and pre-distort the image in the pixel shader to get
nice rectangular windows in the output. The client windows should not have
any knowledge of it since they should work alright on flat monitors as well.

I agree with the statement that VR desktops are a niche market yet. But so
were smartphones and tablets 5 years ago, and laptops 15 years ago. So, the
question to the Wayland developers is:
+ Are you designing Wayland to be something what X _should_have_been_ 5 or
10 years ago? or
+ Are you designing Wayland to support graphics technologies for the next
10 - 20 years?

Nick