XRender

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 02:01:46 PDT 2012

On Fri, 21 Sep 2012 09:58:38 +0200
JS <js314592 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 8:58 AM, Pekka Paalanen <ppaalanen at gmail.com> wrote:
> > There is no "Wayland equivalent". You can use whatever you want. The
> > demos use Cairo for drawing.

> Cairo is also using XRenderCompositeText*.
> What Cairo should use instead of XRenderCompositeText* and other
> XRender functions ?

Cairo has several rendering backends, and you refer to the X11 (or
xlib?) rendering backend, which specifically will not work without X.

Cairo natively on Wayland obviously uses some other way to render text.
I'm not an expert in Cairo, so I'll leave that to others. All I know is
that Cairo definitely is able to render text into pixmaps without X,
either by itself or using some other library not requiring X.

You can use whatever font rendering library you find. I cannot
recommend any one specific, since I haven't done programs
seriously needing it.