Wayland and Weston 0.95.0 for Fedora 18 (just FYI & TWIMC)

Kristian Høgsberg krh at bitplanet.net
Tue Sep 25 07:06:51 PDT 2012

On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 12:37 PM, Thorsten Leemhuis
<fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Just FYI and TWIMC (Darxus on IRC asked me to send this mail): Wayland
> and Weston 0.95.0 are now in the "updates-tesing" repo for Fedora 18;
> hence if you install the Fedora alpha that was released last week you
> can just run "yum install weston" and simply start it afterwards to give
> it a try.
>
> In a week from now I'll likely request that the packages gets moved to
> the proper Fedora 18 repos, if no major issues show up; you can follow
> the process in
>
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/libxkbcommon-0.1.0-8.20120917.fc18,wayland-0.95.0-1.fc18,cairo-1.12.2-4.fc18.1,weston-0.95.0-3.fc18
>
> Note, I'm not maintaining any of the packages in question withing
> Fedora. I'm just a random and mostly inactive Fedora packager these days
> that had a temporary interest in getting to know wayland a bit better,
> that's why I took care of updating the packages. But OTOH, I might talk
> to the maintainers of wayland and weston about shipping a recent git
> snapshot once 0.95.0 left testing behind.

Very cool, thanks.  We're planning to get 1.0 out in a couple of weeks
so it might be worth waiting for that.

> While I'm here two different things:
>
>  * I found it confusing that
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/wayland/wayland-demos/ is the same repo as
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/wayland/weston/ ; I assume it's done for
> backwards compatibly to the days when weston was not what it is today --
> but I'm likely not the only one that will get confused when looking for
> demo clients for wayland ...

Yes, backwards compatibility, but I think you're right that it's time
to remove that symlink.

>  * westons makefile afaics doesn't install any of the demos from the
> clients/ dir in weston's source (like dnd, gears or smoke). Wouldn't it
> be wise to make them installable more easily, then distributions like
> Fedora could ship them in a package like "wayland-client-demos" (or
> something like that); that could make experimenting with wayland more
> fun for users

Yeah, we may want to promote some of them like how we now install
terminal as weston-terminal.

thanks,
Kristian