Gamma correct rendering with Wayland and Weston

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 13:51:41 PDT 2012

Actual rendering of window contents is not done by Wayland so it should
not effect this. However wayland and the shells do some compositing, and
gamma changes how any partially-transparent pixels work. In current
shells these are:

1. "shadows", which are typically drawn by the client as
partially-transparent black and composited over the contents of lower
windows.

2. "semi-transparent" objects, such as some of the drag icons. Drawn by
the clients as pre-multiplied srgb.

3. The anti-aliased edges of any non-rectangular opaque objects, such as
any windows that are not rectangular, the cursor, drag icons. Depending
on the application these may be srgb or linear, though the difference is
hard to see.

Wayland also does scaling and rotations but the difference between
linear and srgb is much smaller for these. I think the real solution for
this is to allow clients to know the actual transform of their surfaces
to the screen and be allowed to draw the transformed image, since this
will avoid resampling and filtering, as well as letting the clients
choose the color space.

I suspect that if there are two windows and one is "linear" and another
is "srgb", that it will be impossible to make the "shadows" of these two
windows look identical, even if the shadows are drawn in different
colors and opacity. It may work for black, but not for any color
shadows, and it certainly will not work for semi-transparent objects.

Therefore I feel that wayland shells should use the same compositing
rules for all windows, so it is possible for them to all match.

The client is free to use linear compositing into a window but this will
not change how wayland composites that window with otehrs. When drawing
the "shadow" it just has to draw whatever will produce the correct srgb
values in the buffer.

In the future wayland may do linear compositing. But this will change
for all windows at once. The "appearance library" that should be used to
draw all the widgets and shadows will be aware of this and alter how it
draws them.