protocol questions

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Wed Apr 3 10:18:11 PDT 2013

Hi,

On 3 April 2013 18:01, Yichao Yu <yyc1992 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes I am talking about menu not notification (sorry the name is status
> notifier[1] instead of status notification), which is the system tray
> protocol.

Ah OK, I see.  In this case though, there's still a user input event
which triggers it, so I don't see how providing the serial has much
effect here.

> Also having to send a serial of the event which triggers the action is
> really unfriendly to toolkits and all of them may just have to save the last
> serial globally (as what is done in weston clients now) and use it when
> sending out the requests, what is the point then of letting the client to
> save it instead of just saving it in the compositor? And is having a focus
> really not enough?

While it's mainly to make things explicit and eliminate all sorts of
focus races, you also need it for multi-pointer support, to
disambiguate which pointer you mean.

Cheers,
Daniel