protocol questions

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Apr 3 11:11:38 PDT 2013

On quarta-feira, 3 de abril de 2013 12.43.35, Kristian Høgsberg wrote:
> > But the client may still want to popup a grabbing window (e.g. system-tray
> > menu) in response to other event (e.g. dbus event) indirectly caused
> > (handler in another process) by the user input.
>
> I can't think of anything that does this in any desktop environment
> I've ever seen.

The only case I currently have of something grabbing my X server is the GPG
Agent pinentry program. But in that case, we've discussed in the past that we
actually want to solve this problem differently: inform the compositor that
this is a password / input-sensitive dialog and let the compositor handle it
as it will.

Anything else that pops up in my desktop won't get focus due to focus-stealing
prevention anyway.

The one thing that needs to break out of that are out-of-process windows that
still logically belong to the same "application". KDE, for example, does that
for the KWallet password but also for those file transfer dialogs, showing
progress. You can also easily go further, like having a separate settings
application for configuring an application, but launched from inside the
application.

Do we have a defined way of transferring focus and modality, enforcing stacking
order?