Wayland cut/copy/paste better than in X11?

Jiergir Ogoerg f35f22fan at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 20:11:26 PDT 2013

Hi,
Between application running on X11 apparently there's no standard way to
tell if file(s) (their URIs) have been "cut" or "copied" into the
clipboard, so you don't know what to do on "Paste", so people invented
(silly) workarounds as explained here [1]:

"Since there is no standard way to copy and paste files between
applications on X11, various MIME types and conventions are currently in
use. For instance, Nautilus expects files to be supplied with a
x-special/gnome-copied-files MIME type with data beginning with the
cut/copy action, a newline character, and the URL of the file."

I wonder if the Wayland protocol allows for a proper/easy solution to this
problem (I'm talking about cut/copy/paste, not drag-n-drop), like an
additional uint32_t info field to code the type of action into it, not just
the URI strings?

I looked here [2] and wl_data_device::set_selection_arguments has a "uint
serial" field but I'm not sure if it's meant to solve this problem or for a
different reason.

Can anyone please explain?

[1] http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-4.8/qclipboard.html
[2]