Input and games.

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Fri Apr 19 16:08:11 PDT 2013

Todd Showalter wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 1:52 PM, Jonas Kulla <nyocurio at gmail.com> wrote:

>     I'm stuck on a Mac at the moment, unfortunately, so I can't give
> you verified Linux examples, but I'm writing this email in the GMail
> web client on Firefox.  If I grab the scroll thumb and drag it
> upwards, the mouse pointer moves far more slowly than if I just moved
> the mouse up without grabbing the thumb...

I have seen this before too, on Windows software.

I think this is going to require pointer warping. At first I thought it
could be done by hiding the pointer and faking it's position, but that
would not stop the invisible pointer from moving out of the window and
becoming visible, or moving into a hot-spot and triggering an unexpected
effect.

>> Also, I'm pretty sure something like mouse warping will likely never be
>> implemented in wayland for design reasons (you don't want malicious
>> apps controlling crucial variables such as pointer location).

This can be avoided by not allowing you to warp the pointer unless you
have the seat focus. You may even require the pointer focus, though I
think there are useful schemes where the client that has keyboard focus
can move the related pointer).