Input and games.

Todd Showalter todd at electronjump.com
Thu Apr 25 04:25:19 PDT 2013

On 2013-04-25, at 5:38 AM, Henri Tuhola <henri.tuhola at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 1:29 AM, Todd Showalter <todd at electronjump.com> wrote:
>>
>>     Yes, definitely.  Which also leads to the whole device naming
>> question; ie: if someone unplugs a controller and plugs it back in,
>> how do you make sure player 2 stays player 2?  But I think as long as
>> the rules are simple (if one controller disappears and reappears,
>> assume it's the same player, if multiple controllers disappear and
>> reappear at the same time, well, pilot error, user gets whatever they
>> get), it's largely a problem that can be papered over.
>
> Although there doesn't seem to be unique identifiers in the devices. It is possible to identify a controller by using the USB port it was connected into, and the device class. You can use the same technique to identify an USB hub.

True, and you can use that and other hints (vendor & device Ids or strings and so forth), but you can't count on people plugging the pad back into the same port (my living room PC has something like 14 USB ports, and they are around the back where I can't see them).

Once you get into Bluetooth controllers where there is no physical wire...

                                      Todd.

--
  Todd Showalter, President
  Electron Jump Games, Inc.