Support for remote desktop systems

Andrew Wedgbury andrew.wedgbury at realvnc.com
Thu Aug 1 08:23:12 PDT 2013

Hi all,

I'm new to the list so please allow me to introduce myself - I work for RealVNC, and we are very keen to support Wayland-based desktops in our cross-platform remote desktop software. I was hoping to get some advice on how we should approach this.

I've seen the RDP compositor in Weston, but I believe this only allows control of a "virtual" desktop, is that correct?

What we would like is to be able to capture the screen output from a regular desktop, and ideally to get notified when updates occur. As I understand it, I don't believe there is anything that would allow us to do this at present via the Wayland client API. I understand there are security implications in allowing applications to see the output of other applications, so perhaps this is not the right approach.

It is possible that we could do this by writing a module for Weston, but we would prefer a more generic solution that would work with other compositors (and could be used by other remote desktop systems), something like a remote control interface.

Are there any such plans in the pipeline? Anything we could help with?

---
Andrew Wedgbury <andrew.wedgbury at realvnc.com>