[ANNOUNCE] Hawaii Shell 0.1.92

Pier Luigi pierluigi.fiorini at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 03:36:10 PDT 2013

Hello everyone,

I would like to spam the list a little bit to announce that a new
version of Hawaii Shell is available.

This release is limited to Hawaii Shell and the Weston plugin not the
whole desktop.

I'm now releasing a module at a time, this time is Hawaii Shell's turn.

Recently I released the first version of EyeSight, the image viewer,
and the wallpapers pack for Hawaii 0.2.0.

There was even a Maui pre-alpha 2 release [1]

More modules will come soon.

For this release 30 issues were closed [2], there are 215 commits
between 0.1.0 and 0.1.92 [3] and 25 commits for the Weston plugin [4].

A lot of progress were made in the last couple of months, including:

 - Improved multi screen support
 - Theming QML API
 - A lot of glitches in the AppChooser fixed
 - Modal dialogs
 - Lock screen
 - Logout, lock, restart, power off and suspend actions

Themes can be written using QML which is a lot easier than the
previous approach inherited from Plasma involving SVG images.
The default theme is builtin for now, for 0.2.0 I plan to make
external themes loadable but there's no API stability promise yet.

You can build Hawaii sources from git. [5]

Make sure you build qtwayland stable branch and revert
10652f8dd675aa0d12c11597c165831c8ba0b8b4 otherwise you won't see
icons.

If you are running Archlinux there are binary packages available. [6]

Hawaii Shell is now in a very good shape, it has the most important
things a shell needs:

 - Application launcher
 - Panels
 - PolicyKit integration
 - Notifications
 - Lock screen

More features will come from here to Hawaii 0.2.0.

Thus I am going to use Hawaii everyday at home, to better spot issues.

If somebody has XWayland rebased over xorg-server 1.4 please ping me.

Mandatory video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_pR9FDDnjw

[1] http://www.maui-project.org/news/maui-pre-alpha-2-live-iso-available/
[2] https://github.com/hawaii-desktop/shell/issues?milestone=2&page=1&state=closed
[3] https://github.com/hawaii-desktop/shell/compare/v0.1.0...v0.1.92