[RFC] weston: Sony clickpad support

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 21:50:48 PDT 2013

2013/8/12 David Herrmann <dh.herrmann at gmail.com>:

> The implementation looks quite nice. I will not comment on the code
> individually, though. I'd really like to see a libtouchpad which
> implements all that logic. Once we start adding device drivers to
> weston, we will end up with a mess where we have to port it to each
> compositor we write. If gnome-shell becomes a compositor, it needs to
> implement this again.
>
> libxkbcommon already abstracted the keyboard handling. Why not do the
> same for touchpads? The "wl_touch" interface to weston is already
> standardized, so all this library needs to provide is a state-machine
> that converts evdev events into something similar to wl_touch.
>
> It's currently on my TODO list, so feel free to ignore it. But imho we
> should try to keep user-space input drivers separate to allow reuse
> and uniform configurations.

If you set up a git repository for libtouchpad, I will help with the code there.

OTOH I don't yet agree with the use of wl_touch as the output of such
library. In the wl_touch documentation, touchscreens are mentioned,
not touchpads. With touchpads, people often talk about moving the
pointer, hovering, clicking and scrolling (even though scrolling is a
gesture), and that fits better under wl_pointer.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov