New Wayland Live CD

nerdopolis bluescreen_avenger at verizon.net
Fri Aug 30 21:18:59 PDT 2013

I am releasing a new ISO of my Wayland Live CD, which is named in honor my favorite celebrity, Rebeccca Black.

The files are here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/rebeccablackos/files/August%2029th%202013/

MD5:
9b2d95773d625b6145b0b50aebda1ef8  RebeccaBlackLinux_Reduced_i386.iso
f4116f40f068888f6df08495635aa3d7  RebeccaBlackLinux_i386.iso

In this ISO:
I have added the Orbital shell by Giucam ( https://github.com/giucam/orbital ) and Hawaii by Plfiorini ( https://github.com/hawaii-desktop/ ) as selectable shells along with the default Weston-Desktop-Shell, to try out. These can be selected at login, by a menu provided by the waylandloginmanager, similar to xsession selection.

Unfortunately the Hawaii shell is currently not working on the framebuffer backed weston, which means it won't work on VirtualBox as of right now. It's likely issues with the pixman renderer that is used on the fbdev-backend?

Also I created a utility that detects devices, and from there, you can select what Wayland seat your devices belong to, by editing a udev file in the background. Or in other words, it's a utility that a user can use to configure multipointer weston, without knowing a thing about udev. It should be in the application menu, under "Wayland Programs", or you can run it by running the command:
$ wlsudo configureseats

I also bumped up the base from Raring to Saucy.

In the next ISO release, I probably will try to get KDE Frameworks to work again, and the programs that are built against it, for native KDE Wayland clients, as well as the Wayland versions of Enlightenment and Mutter, once they are in a runnable condition.