[RFC weston] Add a release_type argument to weston_buffer_reference

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Tue Dec 3 11:30:08 PST 2013

What about my idea of sending the release immediately if and only if
another event has been (or is being) sent since the buffer was replaced?

In my software I want a free buffer soon after user input events such as
mouse clicks, because I want to draw the result of that mouse click. I
do not want to wait for the next frame event, and currently am resorting
to triple (or more) buffering because of the delay in getting the free
buffer (actually I am just disobeying the rules and drawing into the
previous buffer without the release event, but I doubt that is the
proper solution).

However I don't need the buffer asap if there are no user interface
events. So the current way wayland works is correct for me as long as
there are no mouse clicks.

Since the sync echo counts as an event, a client that wants asap release
events can just send a sync right after the attach, and there is no need
for a modal setting like this.