[RFC weston] Add a release_type argument to weston_buffer_reference

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Tue Dec 3 23:57:36 PST 2013

On 12/03/2013 10:35 PM, Pekka Paalanen wrote:
> On Tue, 03 Dec 2013 11:30:08 -0800
> Bill Spitzak <spitzak at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> What about my idea of sending the release immediately if and only if
>> another event has been (or is being) sent since the buffer was
>> replaced?
>
> That is how it already works, and that is not enough here. Note: not
> "replaced" but "released". Replacement does not imply immediate
> release, but that also is not the problem.

Sorry I meant the "attach" when I said "replaced".

You are probably right that "queued" means the release will be delivered
with the next event, even if that is not a frame event.

However what I want is if the release happens between two events it is
delivered immediately. It is only queued if no events have been
delivered since the attach. I think the current scheme will defer it
until the second event.

This would allow a client to get the free back buffer asap after a mouse
click or other event causes it to want to draw, but not add overhead of
delivering a release before that.

And I think it would allow this release_type behavior, by having the
client send a sync request right after the attach. The sync echo would
count as an event and thus cause the release to be sent as soon as
possible after that.