Announcing Termistor, a drop-down, tabbed, terminal for Wayland

David Herrmann dh.herrmann at gmail.com
Fri Dec 27 03:44:29 PST 2013

Hi

On Thu, Dec 26, 2013 at 10:47 PM, Giulio Camuffo
<giuliocamuffo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've finally found a way to squeeze good performances out of my
> terminal embryo I've had for a few months, so I hereby announce the
> birth of the first drop-down (optionally), tabbed, terminal for
> Wayland! Obligatory screenshoot: http://i.imgur.com/OpOvxHK.png
>
> It's a Qt5 client, and uses libtsm for the background work. Given
> Wayland clients don't know where they are nor they can tell the
> compositor where they want to be I came up with a draft of a
> protocol[0] where the client sends a surface and the server then
> arranges for showing and hiding it.
> There are some things yet to solve though. The biggest one is the
> binding to show/hide the surface. Like, should the client or the
> server dictate what binding to use? Should it allow many drop-down
> clients to exist at the same time? To be visible at the same time?
>
> I've implemented the protocol in my shell plugin for Weston,
> 'Nuclear'[1], with an hardcoded F11 binding.
>
> Termistor is still lacking many features, the selection for one, but
> this is yet another step to ditching X for me.

Nice to see this getting somewhere, looks quite promising! If you have
questions regarding libtsm, let me know. I have skimmed through your
code and the Screen object is actually not needed anymore. Since
libtsm-3, we have ageing support in libtsm so it only renders changed
lines. I rewrote wlterm [1] to use gtk+ and it now serves as minimal
libtsm example (in case you want some reference code).

I'm looking forward to further improvements. If something's missing,
feel free to send me patches.

Thanks
David

[1] wlterm: http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/kmscon/wlterm/