Questions and thoughts about input method protocol

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 23:56:12 PST 2013

On 02/02/2013 09:12 PM, Yichao Yu wrote:

> E.g. for non-cjk input method, there is likely to be only one per
> language (which is likely to be a keyboard layout). They normally
> never need cursor following window, don't have dozens of internal
> states. Even the use of preedit is not that common.

Actually it would be really nice to have compose-key interfaces support
pre-edit. Right now to get an æ, you type the compose key (which causes
nothing visible to happen), type and a (which also causes nothing
visible to happen), then type an e and finally see the result. Also if
you type 'j' instead of 'e' then both keys vanish as though nothing
happened.

I suspect because preedit was a pain to support under X it was never
tried. I hope wayland makes this easy enough that we can get this
behavior: 1. you type the compose key, and the cursor changes because a
zero-length preedit was sent, so you have visual feedback. Then you type
an 'a' and you see an a, perhaps highlighted as preedit. Then you type
an 'e' and you see the committed æ. Furthermore if you type 'j' you will
in fact commit the 'a' and see 'aj' which is a lot more useful.

This sort of preview also allows 1-letter compose keys. For instance
compose,1 can produce the super-script ¹, assuming the user does not
type 2 next (which would produce ½).