Weston SDK

Casey Dahlin cdahlin at redhat.com
Thu Feb 14 08:51:00 PST 2013

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 11:27:22AM -0500, Kristian Høgsberg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I made a little experiment last night:
>
>   http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~krh/overlay-plugin
>
> It's an out-of-tree weston plugin.  It's just a silly little overlay
> that you can pop up with mod-space, but the interesting part here is
> that it's building outside weston [1].  Current, that works by copying
> the header files that defines the weston <-> plugins API, but I'd like
> to start thinking about how to formalize this process.  I don't think
> it should be a big problem, it more or less boils down to:
>
>  - Interface version in headers and at runtime
>
>  - Header files installed in /usr/include/weston
>
>  - pkg-config file

This is all begging the question: what is the purpose of Weston. Graphics
developers I talk to who I don't see on this list still refer to it as an
"example compositor." They aren't awaiting a plugin API, they're awaiting a
toolkit library so they can write their own compositors.

Has this been miscommunicated? Because it increasingly seems like Weston is
being prepared for actual use.

--CJD