Wire protocol questions

Peter Hultqvist phq at silentorbit.com
Mon Feb 18 13:35:55 PST 2013

I've been reading the
http://wayland.freedesktop.org/docs/html/sect-Protocol-Wire-Format.html
and done some testing with the wayland socket.

>From the docs I got the package sender object id, packet size and opcode.
I also understand the argument formats.

>From looking at the initial packets sent by the server and correlating
with the arguments in wayland.xml

ObjectID: 1 (interface "wl_registry"?)
Opcode: 1 (event "global"?)
Name: uint
Interface: string
Version: uint

I'm guessing that these Names are the objectID to be used for further
requests. Am I mixing up object ID and names here or are they the same?

What I cannot figure out is how to map a request to an opcode integer.
global happened to be the first event in the wl_registry interface, is
the order in the xml-file dictating the opcodes?

Also if there is any better source for this information such as a
specific source code file I'm eager to read it.