Developing a core shell protocol

Nick Kisialiou kisialiou at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 00:20:04 PST 2013

Hi Pekka,

It may indeed be a cleaner solution to have 2 compositors, a phone
compositor working as a client of the desktop/laptop compositor. In fact,
with proper nesting of multiple compositors you may effectively offer
multiple shells. It is definitely a good solution for an SDK.

That said, I am still not 100% sure that the nested architecture covers all
usage scenarios. For example, take a look at Shuttleworth's newly released
tablet demo at 5:07 where the phone screen gets mapped to a tablet screen
on the fly:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h384z7Ph0gU

By looking at this video I can come up with usage models where a tablet
works as a screen *extension* for a laptop, or a phone works as a *window*
on a screen of the connected tablet. I am not sure if this is where the
graphical interface is headed but there are some good ideas in that demo.
Is nested architecture flexible enough and fast enough to cover such usage
models?

Thanks,
Nick

Disclaimer: the video above should not be misconstrued as an endorsement of
Ubuntu. Neither do I express my opinion for/against this tablet interface.