Weston on RPi: running as non-root

Mika Boström mika.bostrom at nomovok.com
Fri Jan 4 00:32:43 PST 2013

On 01/03/13 20:46, Kristian Høgsberg wrote:
>> Yep. Non-root user doesn't have permission to connect to Wayland socket.
>
> Weston will create the socket with permissions so that only the user
> weston runs as can access it.  This is deliberate and how the
> authentication works.  As such, you can't run weston as root and then
> connect to it as a different, regular user.  In fact, you shouldn't
> run weston (including all of GL, shader compiler, protocol handling
> etc) as root.

Aye, no doubt. Since I was entirely unfamiliar with raspberry, but
wanted to use the native backend I went with existing instructions. On
the intel systems I've happily used weston-launch, and actually prefer
that approach. The RPi instructions explicitly state
--disable-weston-launch for weston's configure.

Looked at weston-launch.c, changed configure option, made the necessary
group edits and it works out of the box. Where' my brown paper bag?

 Mika Boström / mika.bostrom at nomovok.com
 Software Architect